As I wrote here, one of the shortcomings VPS is there is no daily backup mechanism provided by VPS service provider. Therefore we as users have to do manual settings backup mechanism that we want. Backup VPS is very necessary, if there is something that causes VPS inaccessible, we still can re-install the VPS, then restore Data from backup.
In this paper, I will describe the steps of setting up a VPS, so that the data can be backed up to Dropbox. Before setting, we specify what data we will backup to dropbox. Usually the Data that needed to be backed up is as follows:
- Mysql database
- The website data folder
- Or other data that you need such as
In addition to determining the data to be backed up, we need to specify the period of backups performed. In this paper I will explain how to set backup once a day.
After we decide such things above, we can do set our VPS so the data can be backed up to Dropbox as follows:
- Register an account on Dropbox if you do not already have one
- Log in to VPS Linux server and enter to your home directory
- Download the installation dropbox
- 32 bits:
wget -O dropbox.tar.gz "http://www.dropbox.com/download/?plat=lnx.x86"
- 64 bit:
wget -O dropbox.tar.gz "http://www.dropbox.com/download/?plat=lnx.x86_64"
- 32 bits:
tar -xvzf dropbox.tar.gz
- Run dropbox:
- You will see the following output something like below
- Copy the link and paste it in your computer browser. Login using an account that you created in step one above
- Dropbox will create a directory
~/Dropbox. The content of this folder that will be backed up to your Dropbox account
This client is not linked to any account ... Please visit to link this machine https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=7d44a557aa58f285f2da0x67334d02c1.